Friday, December 05, 2008

Altered Christmas Tags

Who doesn't have extra Christmas cards and gift tags each year? Not to mention all those "freebies" they send you for a donation! What the heck are you suppose to do with them all?!? This season I'm all about trying to create things with stuff I already have, so my altered Christmas tags fall right in with going green for Christmas!

tagsbfr

Here's what the Christmas tags started out looking like, and below are my finished tags after I altered them:

tagbrd1
I started out with an old Christmas card and traced around a shipping tag and then cut it out. Next I painted on some some 3D Crystal lacquer and then sprinkled on some extra fine iridescent glitter.
tagbrd2
Once dry I ran the tag through my Xyron and adhered it to some red glitter card stock and cut out around the tag.
tagbrd3
The Dove as you can see I cut out from the tag and used red chalk ink around the edges of it and the tag itself. Digging through my Christmas box I found the velvet top hat and added that onto the dove with a foam sticky dot. I finished it off by adding some festive ribbon.

tagrd

Here are 2 more finished tags. The monogram tag I cut out around the wreath on the tag and then mounted it onto some decorative paper and used a gold leafing pen to outline around the tag then added a card board initial with some pop dots and some ribbon.The snow man I used a square punch to cut out a square and inserted the snowman tag beneath so that it shows through like a window then added card stock on the back.

tagbl1
Again I traced around a shipping tag placed over a Christmas card and was able to cut two tags out from one card. I also used the shipping tag as a template to punch the hole near the top.
tagbl2
I painted on 3D Crystal Lacquer with a cheapy plastic brush I could throw away after. I also used the pointed end of the brush to put dots of CL to the tag to look like stars.
tagbl3
Next I sprinkled extra fine iridescent glitter over the wet CL and set them aside to dry.
tagbl4
Before I added ribbon I ran both tags through my xyron and added some navy blue glitter cardstock to the back of the tags and then re punched the holes.
Now get out your extra cards and lets see your altered tags and cards, post a link here to share with everyone :-)

9 comments:

  1. cool! great way to "go green". I may have to try this too.

    If you want to see the other spoon ornaments I created, they are on my picturetrail.

    jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your tags, Aileen! I did altetred Xmas cards one year, but I love the idea of making them into altered tags even more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to use those cards I've been saving! Aileen your tags look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love your Christmas tags, Aileen!! And I always appreciate your step-by-step instructions - this is a really cool project! Thanks! Hope you are doing well!
    hugs,
    jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are terrific, Aileen! I absolutely love the monogram tag. I may have to do those for the gifts for my family this year. Thanks for the tips and instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Aileen. You're tags are so pretty. I have a ton of Christmas cards and have been waiting to find something to do with them - this is great inspiration! Thanks so much! Tracy
    http://cottonpickincute.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete